Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chapter 13 - Celebrations

Chapter Thirteen - Celebrations

Today is my 21st birthday. I, Henry Darcy, am not looking forward to the party planned for the occasion. I however, was not the most nervous for the coming evening.

 That prize went to my best friend and cousin Alfred, who went by Fred to everyone but his mother. He was talking to himself in front of his mirror, working himself into a nervous frenzy.

 “Fred,” I asked, “what is the matter? If one of us must be worried about this evening it should be me and not you. You already are courting a lovely young lady, while I am at the tender mercies of your mother in that regard.”


“That lovely young lady is what has me so nervous, Henry. I am planning to ask for her hand soon, perhaps even tonight.” Fred replied, and I had to smile.

Lydia Turner, the sweet young lady was well liked by the entire family. She had even earned the approval of Aunt Caroline, which was a feat not many could boast, except the young lady Caroline had chosen for me. That was not a happy thought, so I focused back on Fred. 

“You have been courting Miss Turner for years, I am sure she will say yes.” I reassured him. “Unless she has come to her senses and realized that she does not wish to marry into this madhouse.” I teased. Fred was the brother I did not have. Only slightly less than a year older, we had gotten into and out of trouble together and kept each other from doing some truly foolish things. Poking fun at each other was our favorite game, but we always had each other’s backs. In the years to come as my sisters entered society he would be a valuable ally to keep those three from wreaking too much havoc. 



“Oh yes, quite the madhouse. Your sisters would drive a saint to distraction.” Fred shot back, forgetting his nerves for the moment. “The twins are but children, but mark my words when they are of age they will drive us all to insanity.”

“Speaking of sisters, I had best go make sure Ellen has made ready for the party and not snuck out to the stable.” I said, “You go down there and make sure Miss Turner becomes my newest cousin.” 

When I entered Ellen’s room, she was not there. Instead, I found her out talking with Gregorian. No longer a little girl, my oldest sister was growing up. Just shy of 18, Ellen had grown into a pretty young lady with a personality to be reckoned with. Smart, opinionated and better than all of us at chess, she may have looked the part of a daughter of an old and rich house, but she did not act like one. Like our father and me, she preferred being outside or being with the horses to being social.

 I was not surprised to find her here. Together we headed into the house. “Are you ready for the madness?” I asked once we were inside.  “I know you would rather be out here with Greg, I would too, but Papa and Mama would be unhappy.” It was true, the whole family would be there, as well as friends and business partners and I would be in the center of it all.

“I can at least be grateful it is not my party.” She said, blue eyes twinkling.

 “Soon enough it will, little sister.” I teased.

“Well then, we had best get our social duties out of the way then.”

“I will be there shortly Ellie. I need to make sure the twins are not causing trouble again.” 

Just as I predicted, I found the twins giggling at the second floor landing. In their nightdresses, they watched eagerly the men and women coming into our home.
 “Now,” I said, imitating Papa, “should not the two of you be abed?” as I stopped behind them.

Caught, they turned towards me. Before they could protest, I sent them up to bed. Now I had no more excuses. Steeling myself, down I went to my birthday party.

Down the ballroom, I was surrounded by well-wishers. I shook hands and accepted birthday greetings from facing known and unknown. It was quickly overwhelming, trying to sort out all the conversation. I was trying to listen for hints of something I doubted I would hear. I needed to know who had tried to kill my father. I was no fool, I knew it had been no accident. All my father remembered was a blond man. I hope to find out the truth and bring him to justice.

 Across the room, I caught a glimpse of Ellen conversing a young gentleman I did not know. This was unusual for my sister, rare were the occasions she talked willingly with someone outside of the family.

I was aware, more than usual, of the young ladies in the room. One of them could well be the one my aunt intended for me. I knew that if she had chosen so poorly that I could not abide with the young lady, I was not bound to her. But I was adverse to hurting a lady’s feelings. Whomever she was, Aunt Caroline would have promised her a marriage and she would have had high hopes. Who was I to crush a young girl’s dreams?
A shiver of dread worked its way down my spine. Aunt Caroline was headed my way. 

Never have I been so grateful to my dear cousin before. Just as I feared Caroline would announce my betrothal, Fred and Miss Turner came into the room, arm in arm. They successfully distracted my aunt by announcing their impending nuptials. I was thrilled of course, and grateful for the diversion of attention away from me.

I was no longer the center of attention in the room. Free to glance about once more, I caught sight of a young woman I had never seen before talking animatedly to Miss Turner.

All of a sudden, I could hardly breathe. She was the most beautiful creature I had ever laid eyes upon. Long, dark hair; vivid green eyes; a beautiful face lit by excitement.

My only thought was this: who was she?








2 comments:

  1. Very sweet chapter Grace. I really love it. It's also interesting to see this mystery lady is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering if you're working on another chapter? I really enjoy reading this legacy, so I would hate to see it die. Looking forward to hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete