Saturday, December 24, 2011

Generation One: Chapter 12 - Happy Ending

Chapter Twelve: Happy Ending



“And so goes the tale of St. Nicholas.” I read. Miriam was nestled beside me, listening quietly, looking intently at the book. She is too young to read yet, but she loves being read to.

 Madeline on the other hand, will listen for a while and then scurry off to play by herself, usually with the doll house. In this case, Madeline is asleep next to me.

I love my little girls, for all the trouble I can foresee with twins who are so different, even at a young age. At times I feel I must still be dreaming. My life is nothing like I expected it would be. 

It has been over a year since I awakened from the long sleep after I fell from my horse. I do not remember the week before the accident. Charlotte told me everything she knew, and everything that had happened while I slept. I held her as she told the tale. I felt several emotions at once when she was through. Happiness for our new daughters, and a strong desire to see them; pride for my son and nephew for the work they had done to find me and to keep the estate running; gratitude to Caroline for being there for my dear wife; and anger at the one who had cause me to fall from the saddle.

Even though I had no memory of what had happened, I knew my own skill. I had been riding nearly my entire life, and have endured many falls off a horse. The only explanation was foul play; otherwise I should have been able to react swiftly enough to only have minor injuries. Instead, according to the doctor, I had suffered severe bruising to my head, which explained the memory loss, heavy bruising across the rest of my body, including several broken ribs and one broken leg. He said it was a miracle I was not paralyzed. I stayed in bed for a long time, to allow for complete healing. I read more books during that time than I had in years. Ellen would often read to me, and we would discuss the book she had chosen. 

After some time, I was given permission to leave my bed, as long as I sat in a chair. This allowed Henry and I to play chess together. We talked of many things over the chess board, including what was needed to keep Pemberly going. 

Often, when I would sit in my room, reading in front of the fire, Charlotte would bring the twins in to join me, and we would sit and watch them play together.

“Charles,” said Charlotte, interrupting my memories, “You still need to get ready for the party.” She said as she scooped up Madeline.

Ah yes, we were hosting a Christmas party for our friends and family. “I’ll be ready dearest, as soon as Miss Miriam is in bed.”

-------------------------
“Can you believe how old our children are getting?” I asked my sister as she sat down beside me. In front of us, the party was in full swing. All three of us and our families were here, as well as many of our friends.

“What is this “our” business? Were those not your twins, who are hardly more than babies that I just cooed over in the nursery?” teased Alexandra. 

“Yes, they are mine, but do you not see my firstborn who will soon be grown chatting with your younger son Leonard?”

“I see him, Charles. I also see our nephew Fred with a lovely young lady. Who might she be?” Alexa asked.

“That is Miss Lydia Turner, her father was a business partner with Mr. Davenpore before his death.” I replied.

“My, how that boy has grown, he looks much like Caroline.” 

“Indeed. And your own son Alexander, he is older than Fred. Does he have a sweetheart?”

“Not yet, but he has time. Where is my niece Ellen?”

“Over there, playing chess with Andrew. She told me in no uncertain terms that she hated parties and the only way she would come was if she could play chess and not have to talk to anyone. I only agreed to that because otherwise she would have been out in the stables instead of inside.”

Alexandra chuckled. “I remember a young boy whose whole world was the stable and had to practically be dragged inside for lessons or anything social. Mother always said she prayed that you would get a dose of your own medicine with your children.”

I had to laugh as well. I had been a stubborn child. But then I sobered as I remembered my long dead parents. 

“I wish Mother and Father had gotten a chance to meet their grandchildren.” I said quietly, looking out at the joyful scene, wishing that they were there.

“Yes, we did not even suspect I was pregnant with Alexander when they left us. But do not forget, brother, that while we had to suffer the grief of losing our parents, if that had not happened I highly doubt you would be nearly as happy as you are or have as many children.”

I completely agreed with her. Back then, I could not even have dreamed of my life now. “I cannot imagine, nor will I try to, what my life would have been like had I married Priscilla.  It cannot compare to this reality.”

 “Speaking of grandchildren, I wish to introduce my eldest son to one of the young ladies here. I believe she may be suitable for him.” After saying this, my sister rose and rejoined the crowd.



I rose too, and resumed my duties as the host. I chatted here and there, ensured all were enjoying themselves.

At last, the guests began to leave. It had been a wonderful party, but I was ready for quiet. Well, what quiet there is to be had when there are four children in the house. I hugged my sister goodbye, shook hands with my nephews and bid farewell to all the other guests. 

When the last one had left, I turned to see Ellen still siting by the tree, playing with one of her presents, a toy bear.

“Ellen,” I said “it is past time for bed.”

She stood, unable to hide a yawn, “But Papa, I am not tired at all.”

I chuckled. If only she would always be so young. She was growing up so fast. “Of course not, but it is high time you went to sleep anyway. Come along now, if you are ready quickly I will read you a story.”

“Cinderella?” she asked.

It was her favorite. “Of course.” I answered; half-wishing she would always be my little girl. 


When she was ready for bed, I sat on the edge of her bed and read again the well-worn tale. By the time the glass slipper was reunited with its owner and the happy ending was complete she was asleep. I closed the book and leaned down, kissing her gently on the forehead. “Sweet dreams, princess.” I whispered.

I wandered through the silent house after I left her to her dreams. I suspected most everyone else was abed by now.


 A quick glance in the nursery to see the twins sleeping soundly, and I was just about to head for my own bed when I saw my son out on the balcony.


I sat down beside him on the bench, and after a few quiet moments, I asked “What is on your mind?”

He was silent for a few moments, and I thought he was not going to answer when he finally spoke. “Papa,” he began, “were you nervous about your inheritance?”

 I almost laughed aloud. “Of course I was, son. It is big responsibility, but let me tell you one large difference between you and me in this: I inherited because I was the only son. You will inherit, hopefully many years from now, because you are the right one to carry the burden.”

“How did you know I was the right one?”

“How could choosing you be a wrong choice? Consider this, Henry. Who was it that took care of things when I could not? Was it not you? Yes, you may have had help from Fred and Caroline, but you showed an aptitude that cannot be taught. Second, you are level headed and will be a valuable ally when your sisters are of an age to be out in society. It is not that I do not trust them, but young girls can get into trouble easily.”

Henry had to smile at that. I went on, “It is not like you will spend the time between your coming of age and your inheritance twiddling your thumbs. I intend to teach you all you need to know, then I will focus solely on the management of the horses and the social duties I cannot escape and leave you to do the business so when the time comes, you will be comfortable in your work.”

That made Henry relax. We could spend ages out here, discussing the future, but I was getting cold and it was past time for Henry to be in bed. I said as much, and within a few moments I was back in my rooms. I tried to be quiet, Charlotte was already in bed, and I hoped she was sleeping.

I suppose I was not quiet enough. She sat up in our bed, and asked what had so occupied me instead of coming to bed.

As I lay down, I explained how I had put Ellen to bed and talked for a good while with our nocturnal eldest. She smiled as I told her about checking on all the children. 


“Before we got married,” she asked when I had finished, “did you ever dream we would end up here? Together with four children with our son on the cusp of adulthood?”

“I hardly dared to dream at all, then.” That had been a sad time in my life, to be sure. “But even my wildest imaginings couldn’t have imagined twins.”

Her laugh was as beautiful and bright as it had been the day we met. I took her hand and gently kissed her fingers. “Would you call this a happy ending, my love?”

We kissed gently and she said, “Happy yes, ending no. It is only the beginning.”




























11 comments:

  1. I loved this :) was wondering if any of the clothing you use is CC or if it's all from the games or the store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elayna - Thanks so much for commenting! The clothes are all game/store. I have a few pieces of CC clothing, but I've found the texture is so different from everything else and the store stuff just looks nicer, so I just use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the party they had. Plus I enjoy when he was talking to his son, Henry. It was nice they had a good talk. Merry Christmas. Even though It was late. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that girl Natalie is GORGAWS. Is she on the exchange?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I'm not sure who you mean, since none of my girls are named Natalie. I would be happy to upload her one I know who she is!:)

      Delete
    2. The blonde girl who's Fred's girlfriend. She's sooooo pretty. Ps I've been a lurker for quite some time now. Amaaaazing blog, do unIque, and at so period! How do you get eveything to be so perfect without CC? I envy you. In the best way, of course. ;)

      Delete
    3. Augh! I mean Lydia! I'm sorry, I dont know why the heck I typed Natalie!!! XD

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your wonderful comments! Lydia will be up shortly. Surprisingly, I didn't create her. She's an example of the best Ursine-Frio baby. I was very surprised when I found her.

      The store has a large amount of clothing I've used, most of it came from there. A few of the hairs are CC, but most aren't. The store has been a huge help. Thank you very much!

      Delete
    5. Lydia is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5061314

      Delete
    6. No kidding?? Where did those blue eyes and blonde hair come from??? Now that you mention it, I do see bits of Claire in her face, but still! Wow! Is she THE Frio-Ursine baby that Claire is pregnant with at the beggining of the game, or just A Frio-Ursine baby?

      Delete
    7. No kidding. I changed her hair and eyes, since I decided I wanted the original for a spouse later on, so she got a bit of a make-over.
      She is THE Frio-Ursine baby from that save.

      Delete